Well folks, it's time for the 2014 Weston Family Top 10 Countdown Playlist--let's see which songs made it into this year's top hits for the Westons!
10. What better way to spend 2014 than engaged in ART? All three kids have been enjoying weekly art classes, honing their inner artist with mentor, Patrice Hinz, at Alameda Studio Time, creating collages, sculptures, books, drawings, paintings and stitched creations. Looking forward to more masterpieces from our three artists in residence in 2015! In our number 10 position is Nat King Cole's Mona Lisa.
9. How does Abe get into his exercise groove? Riding his BICYCLE to the local Ace train station! In Fremont, we're grateful to live so close to public transportation and that Abe is able to incorporate his exercise into his daily commute to work. In our number 9 position is Bicycle Race by Queen.
8. Our house wouldn't be a home without...our menagerie of CRITTERS! We love our furry and feathered friends! This past year, the kids started their own business, Little Red Hen Ranch, where they raise chicks as part of their Bayside 4-H Poultry Project. Glad we don't have to share our feather bed with the dogs, cats and chickens, in our number 8 position is Grandma's Feather Bed by John Denver.
7. Life is very rhythmic when you have a DRUMMER in the family! Max has been taking weekly drumming lessons for over a year and currently participates in the New Haven Percussion Ensemble at James Logan High School where high school students volunteer to teach middle school-age students their percussive craft. Excited to reap the fruits of his labors as part of a larger group, Max is in his element playing snare drum! In our number 7 position, Little Drummer Boy by Pentatonix!
6. We loved attending Wente Family CAMP during Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends in 2014 and plan to go back in 2015! We call Wente Scout Reservation the "Campground Cruise Ship" because of the variety of activities offered in a safe and accessible space--kayaking/sailing/
In our number 6 position, Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah by Allen Sherman.
5. In June 2014, we hit the road for Oregon and Washington with camping gear and mountain bikes strapped to the van. With the kids all on 24" wheels--thank you, Craigslist!--we could finally ride together at a reasonable pace. During our nomadic trip encompassing wildlife safaris, bike rides, jetboat excursions, camping, hikes, beach trips, visits with family & friends and touristy sight-seeing activities, we made our way up through gorgeous evergreen Oregon to Washington's magnificent San Juan Islands and back, loving every minute of every day! In our number 5 position, Willie Nelson's On the Road Again.
4. We have invested much of our time and energy this year in raising our male, yellow, Labrador Guide Dog Puppy, BARNUM! Barnum accompanies us throughout our weeks as we attend fieldtrips, the library, church, classes, grocery shopping, hikes and more! Barnum will live with us for the next 6 to 8 months before he returns to the San Rafael campus to complete his training. We volunteer as part of the Bay Area Guide Dog Puppy Raisers Club, attending weekly meetings in Fremont at California School for the Blind. Guide Dogs for the Blind is an industry-leading guide dog school and passionate community that serves the visually impaired. With exceptional client services and a robust network of trainers, puppy raisers, donors and volunteers, we prepare highly qualified guide dogs to serve and empower individuals who are blind or have low vision. All of our services are provided free of charge; we receive no government funding. Thinking of raising a puppy? Watch these videos and visit www.guidedogs.com! In our number 4 position, Elvis Presley's Hound Dog!
3. Look who's born to ENTERTAIN? This year both Natalie AND Madeline auditioned and were cast in StarStruck Theatre's Seussical the Musical! Natalie will be playing Cindy Lou Who, Circus Animal and a Fish Stick while Madeline will be playing a Who, Circus Animal and a Fish Stick. The girls will be performing 12 times between January 9th-25th! If you're up for some meaningful theatrical fun for the whole family, you can't go wrong with StarStruck Theatre productions! In our number 3 position, Here on Who from Seussical the Musical.
2. Encouraged by family and friends, Janine decided to brush off those RUNNING shoes and hit the trails in late 2014. Part of the Coyote Hills Run Club Meetup, Janine runs with an inspiring, uplifting and committed group of women who meet three days per week at 6am year-round to RUN! Feel your inner runner racing with excitement? Join us in 2015! In our number 2 position is Ready to Run by the Dixie Chicks.
And the number 1 song...(drumroll, please)
1. As the holidays approach, we ask ourselves, "WHAT SHALL WE GIVE?" As we consider what we can give of ourselves to those in need, we follow Christ's example to love one another, share our means with others, serve one another, forgive ourselves and others, withhold judgement and strive toward personal improvement. In the midst of the holiday hustle and bustle, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir shares this modern take on the age-old question: "What Shall We Give" to the babe in the manger, to Christ, the King of Kings? In our number 1 position is What Shall We Give by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
We LOVE being Westons!
Abe, Janine, Natalie (12), Max (10), Madeline (8)
2014 Weston Family Album